June 15 - July 17, 2016
Did you know that success in college preparatory math courses is one of the best indicators of doing well in high school and also of enrolling in college? Through the Math Initiative, students will be investing time in preparing for success in high school math during the summer.
This introductory course prepares students for grade level Math courses through interactive project design activities. The Summer Math Academy will prepare students for high-level high school math courses in a project-based environment so that you can have fun while learning and “doing” math.
The Summer Math Initiative will focus on:
Week 1: Pre-algebra
- The first week will focus on proportional reasoning and students will explore how in math we compare two quantities such as fractions (part/whole)
- Students will also learn about probability.
- Students will then work in groups and cut up (real) Pizza to reinforce your understanding of proportions
- Of course, students will get to eat the pizza once we are done with the math activity.
Week 2: Geometry
- Students will study in more depth the relationship between area, perimeter, and volume.
- Students will explore the Pythagorean Theorem
(a2 + b2 = c2)
- Students will then explore the relationship between sides and angles of triangles and will use that knowledge to find the height of this building only using mirrors and measurement tools.
Week 3: Algebra
- Students will learn about “rates” in the real world (interest rates, phone plan rates, etc.)
- Students will learn about models for linear functions (y=mx + b) and how this equation is used to make sense of things that occur in the real world.
- Students will use this knowledge to find distances on maps the way GPS calculates distances.
Week 4: Statistics
- Students will learn how we analyze data in the real world and use it to understand patterns and also to make predictions based on existing patterns in data.
- Students will use regression analysis to figure out how patterns in data that includes:
- Math achievement test scores
- Poverty rates
- Unemployment rates
Math Initiative Bell Schedule:
Period 1: 8:30 - 10:20 am
Lunch: 10:20 - 10:45 am
Period 2: 10:50 - 12:40 pm